PRESS RELEASE *** For immediate use 10/16/2018
This Weekend October 20 - 21
Cayuga Lake Hydrilla Hunt & Roadside Cleanup
Calling All Water Huggers – Embrace the Lake! All Ages Welcome
F Lakewide Hydrilla Hunt October 20-21: Right now, hydrilla is at its maximum extent, lurking in shallow water along Cayuga’s shoreline. This weekend, we are asking you to drop off hydrilla suspects in baggies for expert review.
Bring your hydrilla suspects in plastic baggies marked with location and date, to our collecting tables:
- Saturday - Cass Park, Ithaca - by the Dragon Boat docks 11 am-1 pm
- Saturday – Frontenac Park, Union Springs - by the boat launch 11 am – 1 pm.
- Sunday – Deans Cove, Romulus 11 am – 1 pm.
- Sunday – Rte 89 Rest area cleanup (below) 1-3 pm.
- Hints for Hydrilla Hunting: Use a weed rake if you have one. Look in shallow water areas close to shore. In clear shallow water, scan the lake bottom. If you see mounded plants – get a sample! (Safely!) Hydrilla will probably persist until January before dying back for a few months. Then it will re-sprout and continue to spread. Help find it early. Learn more at www.stophydrilla.org
Roadside Cleanup October 21: Calling all water huggers! Help with our 1-3 pm fall cleanup of the roadside rest area on Route 89 in Covert. A stream runs through it, down to the lake. Remove polluting trash & enjoy autumn treats!
We have adopted this official roadside rest area for regular cleanups. This rest area has no trash cans, so visitors throw meal and beverage leftovers, plus household garbage and waste, down the slope and into the stream. Come help & stay for donuts and cider! Consider a visit afterwards to nearby wineries and cider emporia.
For more information contact:
Hilary Lambert, Steward/Executive Director email@example.com
Jenn Tufano Grillo,
Programs & Members Staff firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about the 22-year old Cayuga Lake Watershed Network & how you
can help us protect everybody’s lake and creeks. Website www.cayugalake.org
Friend us on Facebook! Our motto: “It takes a Network to protect a watershed!”
Cayuga Lake Watershed Network
POB 348 Aurora NY 13026