THANK YOU! Donations on November 28 raised $1700 for our Embrace the Lake Program in 2017. We welcome your support, and the end of the year is a great time to give. If you would like to donate to support our work, please go here. Thanks!
Lakes, rivers, streams, wetlands, and creeks - we love them all and and bet you do, too.
One way we can all help keep Cayuga Lake clean and clear is to remove garbage and debris along the shorelines. If left unattended, this trash and its contents make their way into the water system, polluting roadside ditches, creeks, and the lake.
Every spring, the Cayuga Lake Watershed Network organizes groups of volunteers to gather together, plastic gloves and garbage bags in hand, to put in the long and dirty hours picking up all manner of garbage. This effort takes both time and money. Time for staff to publicize events and organize groups. Money to pay for gloves and bags and mileage to travel all over the lake - it is 32 miles long, you know! That's quite a bit of territory to cover!
Every non-profit knows that citizens have three gifts to offer: time, talent, and money. While we would love your TIME to volunteer during one of the clean up days, right now we are asking for your financial contribution for the resources necessary to keep up this good work.
Any amount helps, of course. Here is how we will spend what we raise:
- Design and share maps showing all the places that people are embracing the lake with cleanups.
- Purchase protective gloves and trash bags that we give to cleanup groups
- Work with community, youth, Scouting, and church groups to find good cleanup sites and make arrangements for each cleanup event.
- Cover some staff time, gas, and mileage around the 86 square miles of beautiful Cayuga Lake! Meeting directly with these volunteer cleanup groups is essential to the success of this annual project
- Let lake lovers and communities know about the scheduled cleanups, and get more people involved in embracing the lake.