Position Statement: In hydraulic fracturing we have identified a key threat to the Cayuga Lake Watershed.
- A growing body of science indicates that shale gas extraction would contaminate our fresh waters, pollute our air, negatively impact sustainable livelihoods and our local economy, and aggravate climate change.
- Development of shale gas would also forestall the growth of the renewable energy sector that offers to bolster our economic vitality and curtail greenhouse gas emissions.
- We oppose the continuation of hydraulic fracturing and urge immediate emphasis on an energy policy that promotes conservation and renewable energy sources.
- Impacts to: Water; Economy: Global Climate and Hydrologic Cycle; Health.
- View full statement as pdf